Monday, February 8, 2010

Day Five, 37 to go

I have been horribly absent from my blog! Don't worry, nonexistent readers, I have stuck with the plan as much as I have been able to. However...some things have unfortunately not gone well. As I am on vacation, I have not voluntarily broken my promise to myself, and to anyone who might ever read this, but have instead been forced through many eating-out excursions and the general frustration of my mother and sister have had to adjust my eating. I often have to eat salad at a restaurant with olive oil in it, and which probably has a great deal of salt. This is very upsetting, but we do what we can. I also feel horribly for making my mother and sister go so much out of their way just because my eating plan is so restrictive. I mean, I know that Dr. Fuhrman says that olive oil just goes straight to your hips, and while healthier than butter or margarine, is still just all fat, I don't know what to tell him. The idea of eating just plain romaine for lunch with nothing else is actually horrifying. Really? So i have as little salad dressing as I possibly can, and always order it on the side.

Anyway, Friday, the day of my actual flight to Arizona, had some problems. I had been feeling weird all day, mostly because I couldn't think what I was forgetting (it turned out I had forgotten to pack quite a bit, but it all worked out), and I was nervous and I was excited and it had been a long, bad week before I left and my body was all over the place. Again, I didn't really feel like eating much, but I ate anyway, and then when it was dinner time on the plane they didn't have anything that met my needs (of course) and so I had this paltry little salad and then we got in and I was starving, finally after all this time of not really wanting anything, and it was just a mess. I just remember being in the Safeway here, food all around me but unable to eat any of it, and practically sobbing with hunger that was clawing at me from the inside out. It was not pleasant, and perhaps I should have brought some sort of vegetables for the situation, but it just didn't work out like that. It was a bad day, and here's the final tally:

Friday, February 5, 2010:
Breakfast: berries and an orange
Snack at work: banana
Lunch: mixed greens salad with balsamic vinegar and baby carrots
Snack at home/on plane: grapes and mixed berries
Dinner(ish): mine (and my mothers') tiny salads from the plane. no dressing because they had high fructose corn syrup and I still had some berries.
Later Dinner: Romaine salad with balsamic vinaigrette dressing and other veggies, peanuts, a banana, an apple, etc etc. I was very, very hungry. It was unpleasant.
On the plus side, I now know what that "true hunger" Fuhrman mentioned in his book feels like. It's an ache that feels like someone is trying to claw their way out of your stomach.

Obviously, I'm very, very behind, but it's also very late and I'm very tired, so I'm going to bed now, and hopefully tomorrow I can remember what I ate on Sat and Sun and write it all down.

Hope someone's reading--if not, I hope I can keep on anyway...

No comments:

Post a Comment